Thursday, October 19, 2006

What happens to Old Musical Instruments

Sent this email to an old co-worker about a drum set he let me have. He was moving to Chicago, and didn't have room for the set to make the trip. Thought the story would make a good addition to the blog. Enjoy (particualry if you're a musician)

***************************************

Remember your old drum set you gave me? I know you had a mild curiosity where it ended up. If I may, let me take you on a little journey.

Well, it sat in the back music storage room of my church for a while, just waiting to get some love. I never got around to using it, as the church already had two newer, shinny drum sets, which everyone was very impressed by. Your kit… we'll call him Tom…sat there in the dark, hoping someone would love it.

Then one day, two brothers at church were starting a punk band. They had everything but a drum set, and needed one. I said sure and Tom got wisped away and out of mind. Oh how excited Tom must have been! Well, I went about my daily tasks as we so often do, and totally forgot about Tom for quite some time. But then one fateful weekend a couple weeks ago I was over the two brothers house for a get together, and low and behold in the spare room, was a drum set. I walked right by it, immediately distracted by the other guitars and amplifiers in the room. Brother #1 pointed with excitement to the corner and mentioned "Remember this?"

With unemotional bemusement I gazed over and searched the recessed inventories of my mind, the way a 35 year old musician with a heavy instrumental spending habit and a steady paycheck would. So many instruments; so many have come and gone. But wait... Was that Tom? Could it be? YES it was!!! (pic attached). With dreams of recording music and hitting it bit, the two brothers have dressed Tom all up with black dye and eyeliner, and he lives to rock once again! With wonder and bewilderment, I slid behind Tom onto the throne, mumbled your name to the crowd in the room, and took a turn giving Tom just one more jam. Sure the throne was rickety, the cymbals didn't match, and the heads were a bit old, but it was Tom and he was making music!!

SO, I'm sure you'll be happy to know that Tom is still out there making music and livin' the dream. He has a nice home (big farm house on the outskirts of San Jose) with loving owners and most importantly, is getting played regularly! And my lesson learned? Hug, love and cherish all your instruments, because they have a dream too!!! Now if you excuse me, I have to go and play my very first guitar….


From Blogger

2 comments:

Allan Teruel said...

I just bought a Wooden Djembe Drum from Indonesia. This thing rocks!

Big Al
www.bigalshouse.com

Anonymous said...

Kewl... rock on!